I am having a bit of trouble following some of the recommended eating guidelines from my Ayurvedic Doctor. It’s not necessarily what I am supposed to be eating, although I am missing my fancy cheeses and artisan bread, but it’s more about how I am supposed to be eating.
- Eat in a peaceful, quiet setting, either alone or with people that you feel relaxed around. It’s important to never eat when you are upset. (Seriously? With two toddlers I wouldn’t call our meal times peaceful…productive and entertaining but not by any means in a quiet or calm manner. More of like a rock concert on acid – could be a good show or a total bummer.)
- Eat sitting down. Do not eat while performing another activity. It is best not to talk while chewing your food. (Uh huh.)
- Eat moderate amounts at a moderate pace, taking time to enjoy your food. (I look more like a starved hyena ripping through his kill – always looking over your shoulder for predators wanting to snatch your dinner)
- Meditate on your food, taking the time to be grateful for nature’s gift of life. (I’m not even going to go there)
- Sit quietly for a few minutes after each meal. (When pigs fly)